Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre has facilitated the emergence of a new scenario in the North Eastern India. Almost two decades of its existence in this part of India has struck the imaginations of the population here and led them on to dream about the possibility of a healthy future. Inevitably a future replete with expanded livelihood opportunities stemming unendingly from the right and rich harvest of Bamboos. CBTC strongly believe in the thrust which will be felt globally following our role as the matchmaker of the human resource, bamboo and technology.
CBTC was incorporated with the objective of organizing the hitherto untapped bamboo sector of NE India which is a significant occupant of its topography, culture and customary practices since time immemorial. Its formal existence came into being as a coordinated effort headed by North Eastern development Finance Corporation (NEDFi) along with the Department of Science and Technology, Govt of India, UNIDO and UNDP. CBTC is the field implementation agency and forms a part of the Technology Management Program (TMP) which is a joint effort of Govt of India and UNDP. CBTC has embarked on a new phase of programmes and projects in the bamboo sector with renewed vigor under the aegis of North Eastern Council (NEC). It can be said that CBTC is one of core outreach programme of NEC for giving a shift to the economy of NE in the positive direction. The progress of these two organizations has been acknowledged by the greater community as the change agent whose need was continually felt in the region.
Objectives of Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre:
- To promote scientific development in the cane and bamboo sector.
- To provide skill upgradation and awareness to entrepreneurs, artisans, technicians, trainers and others.
- To promote employment and income generation activities in the cane and bamboo sector.
- To source and develop relevant technologies inside and outside the country for enhancing the cane and bamboo sector.
- To develop the market and create market linkage for entrepreneurs and artisans in the north eastern region.
- To liaise with premier institutions, state governments and other bodies for taking the cane and bamboo sector forward.
- To set up documentation centre and a data bank for referral.
- To provide consultancy services in the field of cane and bamboo.
- To encourage and participate in any other developmental activity.
- To create a Centre of Excellence which will promote the Cane and Bamboo Industry in the North Eastern Region.
CBTC involves its creativity and resource in talent scouting, training, technology sourcing, market linkage for giving a new age thrust to the age old bamboo sector. Keeping in mind the fast track changes in the global marketplace, contemporizing the traditional presentational aesthetics of bamboo end products receives our priority. In this never ending endeavor of CBTC to unleash a new dimension to bamboo of North East, we have set a benchmark to measure our impact. Unfailingly the apex index of our benchmark is: how many more homes did we add today to the bamboo grove of happiness and prosperity!
Bamboo signifies passing on the inheritance of a environmentally cleaner and a healthy greener world to our future generations. The tall wonder grass keeps on generating solutions to our ever increasing needs and problems in a seemingly everlasting way. Economic potential of bamboos in the developing and underdeveloped countries has grounded countless livelihood projects world wide. The dependence on bamboo for aesthetic and utility benefits is also growing at a compounded rate in the First World.
Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre in North Eastern India is equipped to translate the bamboo dream of the region into reality. A broad mission is underway to ensure the transition of NE region to a location surplus in value creation and value addition facilities to the existing bamboo resources. The North East Regional Bamboo Mission (NERBaM) under the aegis of North Eastern Council (NEC) being implemented by CBTC has impacted in the way of setting up of Common Facility Centres , Bamboo Housing , Bamboo Products Enterprises, Bamboo Technology Parks and Incubation Centres. The prime motivation is to catalyse the traditional bamboo based commercial activities into a robust and dynamic bamboo based industrial movement.